Auckland District Health Board      
Auckland District Health Board  
part of menu  









external link iconMinistry of Health
external link iconNZ Government
    horizontal line

 Published: 08-Dec-2005

left border tab

Needs Asssessment and Service Co-ordination - Central Auckland


Needs Assessment Services for over 65s at Auckland District Health Board


If long-term health problems make normal daily tasks like personal hygiene and housework difficult, a Needs Assessor can provide links with services to help you stay at home longer. The services may be publicly-funded if you meet eligibility criteria.


The area covered by Auckland District Health Board Needs Assessment Service runs from the harbour bridge, through Avondale and New Lynn using Whau Creek as a boundary, North of Middlemore hospital to the Eastern Bays and back to the harbour bridge.



You can refer yourself to the Needs Assessment Service, but often the best way is to ask your doctor to send a referral to A+ Links Community Health Services. Contacts: phone 631 1234 or fax 623 6472.


Referrals are screened and allocated according to complexity of need:



If you have complex, high needs you will be assessed and case-managed by the District Health Board Gerontology Service


If you have less complex needs you will be assessed and case-managed by a home care service contracted to the District Health Board. Agencies include: Enliven, Healthcare NZ, Lifewise and Royal District Nursing.


An assessment identifies your support needs, as well as those of your care-giver and family, if they are involved with your care. The assessor explores family resources as well as those of extended family and immediate community. Where there is a gap between your needs and resources, publicly funded services can be considered. Services available include housework, shopping, meal assistance, showering and dressing.


Access to some publicly funded services is means tested. Help with routine housework requires eligibility for a Community Services Card, while help with personal care such as showering and dressing does not.


A plan is made to help you remain at home, if that is the best option. A restorative focus aims to maximise your independence and support family and friends caring for you, rather than take over the role from them.


Carer Support Subsidy can be authorised to family carers to provide breaks from care-giving.


If staying at home becomes difficult and a geriatric assessment recommends long-term care in a rest home or hospital, then your needs assessor can provide information and the necessary paperwork.


Phone Seniorline information service for more detail on help to stay at home: privately funded homecare, day care, discount taxi vouchers etc.  The service also holds information on long-term care: rest home vacancies, funding and the services that rest homes should provide.


Contacts for Seniorline: 09 375 4395, 0800 725 463, or